USG Transition Assistance Priorities for Cote d’Ivoire – 2012-2016
Transition Assistance Goal:
The Government of Cote d’Ivoire is able to project authority and good governance across its territory to provide security, services, and conditions for economic growth for its people, while remaining accountable, strengthening democracy and protecting human rights.
Over the next five years U.S. foreign assistance will focus on democracy and governance, security sector reform, and economic recovery, with an emphasis on reconciliation and human rights. Targeted assistance over the next five years to these critical areas will be the most effective strategy to assist Cote d’Ivoire to recover from the effects of conflict and support the Ivoirian Government’s goal of becoming eligible for a compact with the Millennium Challenge Corporation.
Democracy, Governance and Reconciliation
Goal: The GOCI is transparent, inclusive, equitable, and accountable in delivering increased services to the population and promoting democratic reforms and respect for human rights.
1) Strengthen government ability to provide services, particularly in areas which are underserved and those most affected by the conflict.
2) Strengthen civil society organizations capacity to hold the government accountable.
3) Encourage political inclusion in government and democratic institutions and processes.
4) Support processes of inquiry and reconciliation that promote societal healing without aggravating social and political cleavages.
Security Sector Reform
Goal: The GOCI regains command and control of all security forces, acts to enforce accountability and to fight impunity, and leads a modernization program of strategic and institutional reforms.
1) Strengthen the strategic and institutional capacities of security and justice sector institutions.
2) Promote the reestablishment of security and stability in high risk areas.
3) Strengthen programs to disarm, demobilize, and reintegrate ex-combatants.
Goal: Conditions are set for economic recovery to continue, with increasing diversity, transparency, and inclusion.
1) Encourage public finance reform.
2) Coordinate the United States’ strategy for economic recovery with international partners to support GOCI debt relief and reform efforts.
3) Promote investment, trade, and economic diversification with an emphasis on job creation.
4) Encourage economic recovery in ways that do not aggravate cleavages across regional or political groupings.