Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Reports of Birth

Consular Reports of Birth Abroad

Children born abroad to U.S. citizen parents are entitled to be documented as U.S. citizens if the citizen parent meets certain transmission requirements laid out in the United States Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The following information will assist you in determining whether or not you are able to transmit citizenship to your child, and will assist you in completing the necessary steps to register your child’s birth and obtain a U.S. passport.

If your child has a potential claim to U.S. citizenship and is still under the age of eighteen, it will be necessary for the U.S. citizen parent to execute an application for a “Consular Report of Birth Abroad” before a consular officer. Both parents must accompany the child to the Consular Section of the US Embassy. You may also apply for your child’s first passport and social security card when you report your child’s birth.

The Consular Report of Birth Abroad is issued to parents following positive adjudication of their child's claim to United States citizenship. The child's claim must be adjudicated before a U.S. passport can be issued.

Processing of citizenship claims is done by online appointment only.

Please click here to schedule an online appointment

Please note: All documents presented must be originals or certified copies from the local city hall.

For the most up-to-date and complete information on Reports of Birth Abroad please visit the State Department web page on this topic.

A. Required Documents

  • Complete form DS-2029 (Application for report of birth Abroad) **
  • Complete form DS-5507 (Affidavit of Parentage & Physical Presence) **
  • Child's Original Ivorian birth certificate
  • Parent's Marriage Certificate if applicable
  • If either or both parents were previously married, evidence of termination of prior marriage(s), divorce decree(s) or death certificate(s) of former spouse(s);U.S. passport(s) of parent(s);
  • Naturalization Certificate(s) of parent(s) (Original) if applicable;
  • Birth to a U.S. citizen parent and an alien parent – in or out of wedlock :   Proof of five (5) years of physical presence in the US **
  • Birth to a U.S. citizen mother – out of wedlock: Proof of one (1) year of physical presence in the U.S.
  • Physical presence of the child
  • Presence of both parents for signature before the Consular Officer
  • Maternity book
  • Passport pages showing Entry and Exit stamps in and out of Cote d’Ivoire

** Forms have to be filled by the U.S. citizen parent.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad  ---> $  100.00 ---> CFA 54,000

B. Passport Issuance

Once the Report of Birth is completed, the child may be issued a U.S. passport.

To apply for a passport for your child, please click here

Note: At least one parent (or legal guardian) must be present with the child to execute the application for a minor’s passport. In cases where a parent cannot be present, the absent parent must provide an original notarized Statement of Consent (DS-3053: Statement of Consent from the parent outside the Country – Notarized). In rare circumstances where neither parent can appear and issuance is urgent, both parents must provide legal power of attorney to a third party willing to sign under oath and take full responsibility for the contents of the application. Please refer to the State Department’s link at:  

C. Social Security Card

Processing for the social security card application can be done following your interview for birth registration. Applicants must present:

Please note: The Consular Report of Birth must be executed in person.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.